DIY Father's Day Gardening Gift and Card
With Father's Day around the corner, I have been trying to think of the best way to celebrate dads and the father figures in our lives. My dad is the hardest person to buy for, but he loves his garden. So this year I decided to pot some succulents and cactus for him to grow in the greenhouse and customized the plant pots to go along with the gift. To top it off I wanted to coordinate his gift and card and the Funky Cactus die set from Tim Holtz was the perfect coordinating fit. Check out the step by step instructions below to see how I created this DIY Father's Day gift, perfect for any dad who likes to grow things year round.
What you will need:
- Sizzix® Big Shot® Machine (660200)
- Sizzix® Thinlits® Die Set PK - Funky Cactus by Tim Holtz® (665365)
- Sizizix® Thinlits® Die - Hand Drawn Alphabet (665182)
- Sizzix Effectz™ - Creamy Matte Acrylic Paint, Black, 60ml (664558)
- Sizzix Effectz™ - Gesso Primer, White, 150ml (664537)
- Sizzix Effectz™ - Luster Wax, Silver, 20ml (664811)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential – Foam Tape (663709)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential – Permanent Adhesive Roller (663474)
- Sizzix Surfacez™ - Cardstock, 8 1/4" x 11 3/4", 20 Assorted Colors, 80 Sheets (663007)
- Sizzix Surfacez™ - The Opulent Cardstock Pack, Silver, 50PK (664533)
- Foam Paint Brush
- Gel Pen (White)
- Terra-cotta Plant Pots (in desired sizes)
How to make - 'For You' Cactus Card:
- To create this DIY Father's Day gift, die-cut out of black cardstock three cactus and each coordinating layering element from the Funky Cactus die set. Die-cut out of Earl Gray, Bluebell and Agave cardstock three plant pots and their layering elements from the same die set.
2. Add a visual effect to the die cut cactus pieces by outlining the embossed designs on each die cut piece with white gel pen. Add a bit of Silver Luster Wax around the edges and across portions of the top of each cactus element and plant pot.
3. Layer up the pieces on each cactus and plant pot, aligning the layering elements to their designated spaces, by following the embossed line on each element below. Adhere all the elements together with liquid adhesive. Adhere a plant pot to the bottom of each cactus with liquid adhesive.
4. Cut a 4" x 8" panel of Early Gray cardstock and fold it in half to create the card base. Cut a 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" panel of Silver Glitter Opulent cardstock. Center and adhere the glitter cardstock to the Earl Gray card front double-sided tape. Cut a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" panel of Mint Julep cardstock. Center and adhere the panel to the Silver Glitter panel with foam tape.
5. Die-cut out of white cardstock the letters "F O R Y O U" from the Hand Drawn Alphabet die. Adhere the sentiment and cactus to the card front with liquid adhesive.
How to make - Painted Plant Pots
- Begin by priming each of the plant pots with white gesso primer. Adding 1-2 coats of this to the entirety of the outside of the plant pot will allow for a full coverage of the acrylic paints. Set the pots aside to dry.
2. Once dry, paint at least 1-2 coats of Black Acrylic Paint over the gesso primer, covering the outside of the plant pots thoroughly. Set the plant pots aside to dry.
3. Add Silver Luster Wax where desired on top of the black paint to give each plant pot an antiqued appearance. Add the chosen plants into each pot.
I hope this project inspired you and provided a cute idea for this upcoming Father's Day celebrations.
Until next time, happy crafting! Remember to tag us in your makes using the #mymakingstory hashtag!