Smiling Like a Princess Quilt
Westminster Fibers was born out of a collaboration between a fledging yarn company in the West Yorkshire region of England and two gallery owners. Since its inception, Westminster Fibers has become one of the most respected yarn companies in the hand-knitting yarn marketplace and has expanded into printed fabrics. With a wide assortment of fabrics, yarns and needlework kits plus many brand distributorships, Westminster Fibers offers tremendous value to every quilting or needleart enthusiast.View Designer
Class is now in session! Discover all the essentials to empower your creativity.Learn More
Will it work with my machine?
Look below to explore the complete compatibility of this product
Give your quilts a fairytale ending! All the enchantment of a young girl's heart is captured right here with perfectly stylish squares and royally fun colors. Create it for the princess in your life today. This charming quilt is just the right size to practice Prairie Points.
Artist: Cindy Surina, Guest Quilter
Themes: Quilting & Appliqué
Sizzix Die(s) Used
- Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide
|Fat 1/4||Charming print||Cut (1) 15 3/4" x 20 3/4" for the background|
|2/3 yd||White||Cut (26) 5" Squares|
|1/4 yd||Purple||Cut (4) 2" wide Strips|
|1/2 yd||Stripe print||Cut (4) 3 1/2" wide Strips|
|2/3 yd||Pink print||Cut (4) 5" wide Strips|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips|
|1 yd||Backing fabric|
|36" x 42"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 33 3/4" x 38 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
Piecing the Quilt:
- Sew the 2" purple border Strips to the sides of the quilt center first, then sew the top and bottom border Strips. Sew the 3 1/2" stripe border Strips to the quilt in the same manner.
- Assembling Prairie Points: for each point, take one 5" white Square and fold it one corner across to the opposite corner, wrong sides together. This will form a Triangle. Along the folded edge, fold again to form a smaller Triangle. By doing this, all raw edges are along the same side, and the folded edges make up the other two sides.
- Place the raw edge of the Prairie Points along the raw edge of the stripe print border and pin in place, overlapping each Prairie Point 1/4". The points will face into the quilt.
- Using the same pins, place the 5" pink border Strips on opposite sides of the quilt and sew. The Prairie Points will be sandwiched in place between the striped and numbers borders. Repeat the same steps to sew the top and bottom borders to the quilt.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.