If you need a map to find your next great quilt, we have one! Just follow the directions below to discover a rewarding design with a wealth of fun! This adventurous quilt is a great weekend project and it can be made with new yardage, strips from your stash or a 5" charm pack.
|1/3 yd||Sand-colored print||Cut (8) 5" Squares|
|1/3 yd||Light blue pirate print||Cut (7) 5" Squares|
|1/3 yd||Dark blue pirate print||Cut (8) 5" Squares|
|1/3 yd||Black skull print||Cut (7) 5" Squares|
|1/4 yd||Red||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/4 yd||Stripe print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/4 yd||Black skull print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/2 yd||Light blue pirate print||Cut (4) 3 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips|
|36" x 40"||Backing fabric|
|36" x 40"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 34" x 38 3/4"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Arrange the 5" Squares in a pleasing manner, 5 across by 6 down.
- Sew 5 blocks together to form a row. Repeat to form 5 more rows.
- Sew the 6 rows together to form the quilt center.
- Sew the 1 1/2" red border Strips to the sides of the quilt center first, then sew the top and bottom border Strips. Sew the 1 1/2" stripe and black skull print border Strips to the quilt in the same manner.
- Sew the 3 1/2" light blue pirate print border Strips to the sides of the quilt first, then sew the top and bottom border Strips.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.