Play Date Quilt
Always set aside time to express yourself. Sizzix shape-cutting equipment helps create perfectly cut shapes that can be replicated thousands of times for any unique possibility. Follow the instructions below and give your skills a thrill!
|1 5/8 yd||DW41 Green-Hopscotch||Cut (4) 6 1/4" x LOF and then sub-cut into:|
Cut (2) 6 1/4" x 48"
Cut (2) 6 1/4" x 53"
Cut (14) 5" Squares
|1 1/2 yd||S03 Fuchsia solid||Cut (56) 2 1/2" Squares|
Cut (168) 2" Squares
Cut (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|1/2 yd||DW39 Gold-Hopscotch||Cut (14) 5" Squares|
|1/2 yd||DW41 White-Hopscotch||Cut (14) 5" Squares|
|1/2 yd||JM20 Beetroot-Picnic Parade||Cut (98) 5" Squares and then sub-cut each Square into (2) Rectangles|
|3 1/2 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 3/4 yd pieces|
|59" x 66"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 53" x 59 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- LOF = length of fabric
Piecing the Block:
- With pencil, draw a diagonal line across each of the (168) 2" Squares.
- Place a 2" Square on each corner of one of the 5" Squares, right sides together. The diagonal line will run from the side of the Square to the adjoining side of the Square. If the line runs to the corner of the Square, it is wrong. Sew on the line of each of the four 2" Squares. Press the triangle in the center, back towards the outside. Trim away the bottom two Triangles on each corner. Your block will be a Square with a fuchsia Triangle in each corner. This is known as a snowball block.
- Repeat step 2 with the remaining forty-one 5" squares to make a total of forty-two snowballs.
Assembling the Rows:
- There are seven rows that alternate the 2 1/2" x 5" Rectangles of JM-20 Beetroot and the 5" snowball blocks. Each row has seven Rectangles and six snowball blocks. All the rows start and end with a Rectangle. Use the quilt picture as a guide for color placement. Press the seams towards the Rectangles.
- There are eight rows that alternate the 2 1/2" Squares of fuchsia and the 2 1/2" x 5" Rectangles of JM-20 Beetroot. Each row has seven 2 1/2" Squares and six Rectangles. All the rows start and end with a 2 1/2" Square. Press the seams toward the Rectangles.
Assembling the Quilt:
- Sew the quilt rows together alternating the block and the sashing rows. The rows will start and end with a sashing row. Press.
- Sew the two 6 1/4" x 48" DW41 Green to the seven block sides of the quilt. Press
- Sew the two 6 1/4" x 53" DW41 Green to the remaining two sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the two 1 3/4 yd pieces of the backing fabric together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.