Off-Center Rail Fence Quilt
Westminster Fibers was born out of a collaboration between a fledging yarn company in the West Yorkshire region of England and two gallery owners. Since its inception, Westminster Fibers has become one of the most respected yarn companies in the hand-knitting yarn marketplace and has expanded into printed fabrics. With a wide assortment of fabrics, yarns and needlework kits plus many brand distributorships, Westminster Fibers offers tremendous value to every quilting or needleart enthusiast.View Designer
New to die-cutting?
Or simply want to know more about it? We've got plenty of tips and tricks to help you get started.Learn More
Will it work with my machine?
Look below to explore the complete compatibility of this product
Creativity has no boundaries. This Off-Center Rail Fence design is more than proof of the unlimited expression that Sizzix shape-cutting equipment offers. With perfectly cut shapes every time, you can focus on what you do best - quilting!
Artist: Cheryl Adam, Guest Quilter
Themes: Quilting & Appliqué
Sizzix Die(s) Used
- Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide
|1 yd||DS05 New Day||Cut (8) 3 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 yd||DS02 Piney Woods||Cut (8) 3 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 yd||DS01 New Day||Cut (8) 3 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1/2 yd||JM19 Blue||Cut (8) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1/2 yd||S20 Aqua||Cut (8) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1/2 yd||DF38 Blue||Cut (8) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3/4 yd||DS03 New Day||Cut (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding|
|3 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 1/2 yd pieces|
|52" x 76"||Batting|
This block is from Off Center Patchwork by Cheryl A. Adam.
- Finished Size: 48" x 72"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Block:
- Sew a 3 1/2" DS05 New Day Strip, a 3 1/2" DS02 Piney Woods Strip and a 3 1/2" DS01 New Day Strip into a Strip set. Press. Repeat with the remaining 3 1/2" Strips for a total of eight Strip sets. Cut a total of 24 segments, each 9 1/2" wide, and 24 segments, each 3 1/2" wide. The first strip set pieces will end up to be 9 1/2" x 9 1/2". The second Strip set pieces will be 3 1/2" x 9 1/2".
- Sew a 1 1/2" JM19 Blue Strip, a 1 1/2" S20 Aqua Strip and a 1 1/2" DF38 Blue Strip into a Strip set. Press. Repeat with the remaining 1 1/2" Strips for a total of 8 Strip sets. Cut a total of 24 segments, each 9 1/2" wide, and 24 segments, each 3 1/2" wide. The first Strip set pieces will end up to be 3 1/2" x 9 1/2". The second Strip set pieces will be 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".
- Using Diagram 1 as a guide, sew the block together into two rows. Then sew the two rows together to make a block. Press. Repeat 23 more times to make 24 blocks.
Assembling the Quilt Top:
- Using the quilt picture as a reference, arrange the blocks. There will be four blocks in each row and six rows make up the quilt.
- Sew the blocks together into rows. Press
- Sew the rows together into the quilt top. Press.
- Sew the two 1 1/2 yd pieces together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.