Sophie started working for Ellison in February 2015. Since then, she has enjoyed developing her style and skills within the company, and most of all, has enjoyed seeing her initial sketches and designs become products. She studied Art and Design at Central Saint Martins and has a degree in Textiles Design from Manchester University. She has always been strongly inspired by current trends, illustrations, surface patterns, natural elements and travel. When she isn't at work, she's still continuing her love of design by producing hand-printed textiles and papers while finding time to draw and experiment in her sketchbook.View Designer
New to die-cutting?
Or simply want to know more about it? We've got plenty of tips and tricks to help you get started.Learn More
Will it work with my machine?
Look below to explore the complete compatibility of this product
Layered in cardstock and moulded to add dimension or stitched onto sewing projects, this poppy makes a beautiful addition to our Bigz flower collection, and in different colours it’s a flower that lasts all year! Been used to decorate your home with this floral cushion.
Themes: House & Home
Sizzix Die(s) Used
- Sizzix Bigz Die - Poppy
- Sizzix Surfacez - Felt Sheets, 10PK (10 Colours Pastels)
- Sizzix Big Shot Machine Only (White & Gray)
- Sizzix Big Shot Plus Machine Only (White & Gray)
- Sizzix Big Shot Express Machine Only (White & Gray)
- Sizzix Big Shot Foldaway Machine (White and Grey) with Exclusive Extras
Other Supplies: Pink & Light Blue felt, White fabric, Rectangular cushion inner, Blue polka dot fabric, Pink and white striped fabric, Various blue buttons, Various pink buttons, Sewing machine, Fabric pen (water removable), White thread, Grey thread, Pink thread, Blue thread, Sewing needle, Fabric scissors
- Cut a rectangle of white fabric, 2cm bigger at each edge than the cushion inner.
- Cut two rectangles of white fabric, one two-thirds of the length of the first cut out (same width), the other one measuring half the length of the first cut out (same width).
- Hem one end of each of the two smaller cut outs.
- Cut out 12 small poppy petals in pink felt.
- Cut out 6 large poppy petals in pink striped fabric.
- Cut out 12 small poppy petals in light blue felt.
- Cut out 6 large poppy petals in blue polka dot fabric.
- With the fabric pen, mark evenly 4 lines running across the width of the cushion.
- Using grey thread, sew along these lines.
- Use a clean, damp cloth to remove the pen marks.
- Layer two small blue poppy petals on top of two large polka dot poppy petals. Sew these together onto the cushion on one of the grey lines. Use the blue thread to hand stitch a button into the centre of the complete flower.
- Repeat this process with 4 other blue felt petals and the remaining 4 polka dot petals, arranging them differently along the grey stitch lines.
- Then repeat this process with the pink felt and striped fabric petals.
- Layer the remaining pink felt petals and blue felt petals in twos and sew them onto the grey stitch lines, also with buttons in the centres.
- Position the two smaller white rectangles on top of the cushion front, right sides together so the flowers are on the inside and the hemmed edges are on top.
- Pin all around the edges, joining the flowery piece and the two smaller cut outs.
- Sew around the edges, removing pins as you go.
- Turn the cushion cover right side out and fill with the cushion inner.