Other Supplies: Fabric 1 – 1.7m x 90cm plain cream, Fabric 2 – 40cm orange multi print, Fabrics 3-9 – 15cm square of each fabric in contrasting prints and colours, Wadding – 170 x 50cm, Air erasable pen, Thread for piecing, Metallic thread for kite tail, Pins, Iron, Sewing machine
Notes: Finished size approx: 160cm x 41cm (64" x 16"), All fabrics are 110cm wide unless otherwise stated, Seam allowances are 6mm (1/4"), RS – right side, WS – wrong side, All fabrics are cotton
Fabric 1 – Cut into 2 pieces measuring 162 x 41cm
Fabric 2 – Using a Strips die and XL 25" Cutting Pads, cut 5 strips across the width of the fabric
– Using the Twist die, cut 4 triangles
Fabrics 3-9 – Cut 2 triangles from each fabric using the Twist die
- Stitch 2 triangles from Fabric 2, RS together, to make a square.
- Press a 6mm seam to the WS on all sides
- Fold one triangle in half, RS together, to make a smaller triangle, and stitch the sides together, leaving a small opening in one side for turning.
- Trim the points and turn the triangle RS out and press, tucking in the open edges.
- Repeat with another 13 triangles
- Layer the backing, wadding and top together and pin or tack.
- Using the photo as a guide, draw a line along the length of the table runner for the kite tail, using the erasable pen.
- Stitch the kite tail in the metallic thread.
- Pin the square to one end of the tail as indicated by the photograph and then arrange the triangles in pairs along the length of the tail, pin into position.
- Stitch the square and the triangles into position.
- Using the erasable pen draw some swirls each side of the kite and stitch
- Trim wadding and backing to the same size as the quilt top.
- Stitch the binding strips, RS together, into 1 long strip.
- Fold in half along the length, WS together, and press the fold.
- Stitch the binding to the table runner, matching the raw edges, mitre the corners and overlap the ends.
- Press binding away from the quilt top, fold over to the back, and slip stitch fold to the back of the table runner to complete.