Hex Star Quilt
Oh, the charm of a creative quilt! Combine a few easy piecing dies to create this lovely Hex Star Quilt pattern.
Theme: Decorative Elements
|(9) Fat 1/4||Assorted polka dot fabrics||Cut (6) pairs of mirror-image right triangles from each print|
|(12) 1/4 yd||Floral and other large prints||Cut (6) Star points for each block, (144) total|
|2 1/3 yd total||Assorted light prints with cream/tan backgrounds||Cut (6) smaller background triangles for each block, (144) total|
|2/3 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|4 1/2 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 62" x 78" rectangles|
|61" x 78"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 55" x 72"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Construct Star block. Sew a background triangle to the right side of a Star point. Stop sewing 1/4" before the inner point of Star point. Press seam allowance open (see Diagram B). Repeat for all 6 Star points/background triangles.
- Sew two of these units together along the wide Y-seam. Start in the center, sewing the two Star points together. At intersection with small triangle, stop at the seam with needle in the down position. Lift presser foot and pivot fabric, bringing the triangle edge and the remaining Star point edge together. Continue sewing to the end. Press seam allowances open (see Diagram C). In the same way, sew another Star point unit to these two, making half the Star.
- Repeat with the remaining three Star point/triangle units, making the second half of the Star.
- Pin the two halves together, aligning and pinning at the center points. Start sewing before the center point; sew through the center and continue to the edge, pivoting at intersection with triangle. Flip the whole piece over and beginning from the inside of the block, pin and complete the seam, pivoting at triangle. Press this seam open (see Diagram D).
- Sew corner triangles on, completing the rectangle block. Pay attention to which direction the corner triangles face – two triangles will be the mirror-image of the other two. Press seam allowances toward corners (see Diagram E). Make 24 Star blocks.
- Assemble the blocks. Arrange blocks using the quilt diagram as a reference. Sew blocks together, pinning at intersections to line up corners and Star points.
- Sew the two pieces of the backing fabric together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure A
- Figure B
- Figure C
- Figure D
- Figure E