|(7) Fat 1/4||Persimmon prints||Cut (18) Isosceles Triangles|
Cut (26) Flowers*
|(1) Fat 1/8||Cream with persimmon dots print||Cut (2) Flowers*|
|(4) Fat 1/4||Sage prints||Cut (12) Isosceles Triangles|
|1/2 yd||Sage print||Cut (16) Swags*|
Cut (6) Isosceles Triangles
|3 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (4) 8 1/2" x 58" Strips for borders|
Cut (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips by WOF for binding
Cut (38) Right Triangles or (18) pairs of mirror images
Cut (36) 4 1/2" Squares
|60" x 60"||Batting|
|3 yd||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 52" x 52"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Sew in an hourglass manner 2 persimmon and 2 sage 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" Triangles together. Repeat 8 times. This makes the center of each block. See Diagram 1.
- Sew 1 sage print Isosceles Triangles to the background Right Triangles to form a triangle in a square block. Repeat 17 times.
- Sew 1 persimmon print Isosceles Triangles to the background Right Triangles to form a triangle in a square block. Repeat 17 times.
- To make each block, refer to Diagram 2. Sew a 4 1/2" Square to a triangle in a square so the triangle is pointing to the outside of the block, then another 4 1/2" Square.
- The next row of the block is a triangle in a square block. With the triangle pointing toward the outside of the block, the quarter-square triangle unit, sew another triangle in a square so the triangle is pointing toward the outside of the block.
- For the final row of each block, sew a 4 1/2" Square to a triangle in a square unit with the triangle pointing toward the outside of the block and a 4 1/2" Square.
- Sew these rows together to form the finished block. Repeat 8 times.
- Arrange the blocks so the persimmon points match up to a sage point. Sew 3 blocks down by 3 blocks across.
- Find the center of each 8 1/2" Strip. Match it to the center of each side of the quilt top.
- Sew in place, leaving tails off the ends, and miter the corners.
- Arrange the Swag pieces around the border. Place Flowers at the connections in a pleasing manner. Heat set in place. Stitch as desired around appliqué shapes.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2