Vintage Valentine Quilt
Romantics agree: this quilt unleashes love's classic qualities. From squares and strips to hearts and happiness, the comforts and creativity of the Vintage Valentine collection by Scrappy Cat are all here. Follow the instructions below and easily re-create this heartfelt masterpiece.
|(6) Fat 1/8||Assorted prints||Cut (8) 3 1/2" Squares from each print
Cut (1) 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" Rectangle from each print
|(1) Fat 1/8||Cream print||Cut (8) 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" Rectangles|
|1/2 yd||White-on-white print||Cut (3) 5" x 36 1/2" Strips|
|(1) Fat 1/4||Red print||Cut (6) Scallop Hearts*|
|(1) Fat 1/4||Red plaid||Cut (9) Scallop Hearts*|
|1/2 yd||Red check||Cut (5) 3 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide strips|
|1 3/4 yd||Backing fabric|
|45" x 60"||Batting|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 42" x 57"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- Fat 1/4 = approximately18" x 22"
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- There will be extra Hearts and Scallop Heart Frames that can be used on another project.
Piecing the Blocks:
- Arrange five Scallop Hearts on top of a 5" x 36 1/2" white-on-white sashing Strip in a pleasing manner.
- When satisfied with the placement, heat fuse in place with an iron and stitch around the shapes as desired. Repeat to make two more sashing rows.
- Piece three 3 1/2" Squares together to form a 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" Rectangle. Repeat fifteen times. Eight the pieced Rectangles should have the same color configuration. The other eight will have a another color configuration.
- Sew the pieced 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" Rectangle units onto both sides of a 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" cream print Rectangle to form a 9 1/2" pieced Square. Repeat seven times.
- Sew three 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" Rectangles together to form a 9 1/2" strip pieced Square. Repeat seven times. Eight the strip pieced Rectangles should have the same color configuration. The other eight will have a another color configuration.
Assembling the Quilt:
- Using the quilt image as a guide, lay out the quilt top in rows, 4 blocks across by 4 down with a sashing between each block row.
- To create block row 1: sew a pieced block to a strip pieced block, repeat to form four blocks across. Repeat to form block row 3.
- To create block row 2: sew a strip pieced block to a pieced block, repeat to form four blocks across. Repeat to form block row 4.
- Sew block and sashing rows together.
- Sew the 3 1/2" red border Strips to the sides of the quilt center first, then sew the top and bottom border Strips.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.