Rustic Tree Ornaments
Well hello there. Welcome to another Sizzix make. Can you believe it, this year is almost over. How'd that happen? And with the holiday season just around the corner, I thought I'd share how to make some rustic tree ornaments using shrink plastic. Making your own ornaments is always so much more satisfying than buying and shrink plastic is just perfect for making these.
You Will Need
- Sizzix® Big Shot Machine™ (660200)
- Sizzix Bigz Die - Fir Tree (662585)
- Artistry Inks in Burnt Umber, Roasted Chestnut and Black Shadow
- Metallic Craft Paint
- Text Based Stamp
How To Make Rustic Tree Ornaments
1. For these ornaments we’ll be using the lovely Fir Tree from Sophie Guilar to die cut our trees from shrink plastic.
2. By placing the die carefully on the shrink plastic you should be able to get at least 10 fir trees out of one sheet.
3. Randomly stamp the top of the trees in a criss-cross pattern that mimics how you would normally drape a garland using the Roasted Chestnut ink pad. Use the Burnt Umber on the stem of the tree to create a nice contrast.
4. Once the ink dries add some text using a letter stamp. Here's a handy tip. When using rubber stamps gently tap the stamp onto the ink pad to avoid over inking the stamp and smudging the letters.
5. Time to shrink those trees and the little stars. I prefer using a hairdryer set on high, but you can also put them in the oven for a few minutes. If you use a hairdryer you'll need to hold them down with tweezers so they don't blow all over the place.
6. I love watching how the shrink plastic reacts to the heat. The trees kinda curl up on themselves and it looks like it's not going to work. Then all of a sudden they straighten themselves out and you end up with these glassy little miniature versions of the original.
7. To add a pretty pop of color paint the stars in a lovely copper metallic paint after they've been shrunk.
8. Glue the stars on to the trees and add twine or fishing line and your rustic tree ornaments are ready to hang.
The little ornaments will look lovely on a woodland themed Christmas tree or you can simply tie them to a pretty branch and hang them on the wall. Either way they'll add a little magic to your festive decor.
Thank you so much for coming to see how we made these rustic tree ornaments using shrink plastic. Until next time, hope you have a beautifully creative and Sizzix-tastic week.