Farmhouse Style Collector Box
Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be back on the Sizzix Making Journal Blog to share with you a vignette box filled with a collection of Tim Holtz Sizzix dies created with a vintage vibe.
I was inspired by some of the items in a little shop near my home that carries a collection of farmhouse style home decor pieces.
You will need:
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Vignette Tray Structure
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Field Notes Ephemera
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Junk Drawer Baseboards
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Bouquet Findings
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Rose Design Tape
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Hex Fasteners
Tim Holtz Etcetera Scallop Trims
Tim Holtz Speckled Egg Distress Paint
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Fossilized Amber, Broken China, Vintage Photo, Ground Espresso
Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stain - Peeled Paint, Forest Moss
Dina Wakley White Gesso
Distress Mediums - Multi Matte, Collage
Prima Art Stones
Applying the design to the box:
- Create several sheets of Doodle Art #2 to completely cover the box.
How to create the box:
- Paint the box, inside and out, with white gesso.
- Working in sections, cover an area with collage medium. Lay a sheet of the Doodle Art #2 on top of collage covered section and apply another layer of collage medium over top.
- Continue covering the front, back and inside of the box with the Doodle Art #2 die cut sheets until the box is completely covered.
- Set aside to completely dry.
- When the box is completely dry, paint the box with Distress Speckled Egg Paint and allow it to dry.
- Scribble Weathered Wood Distress Crayon to the inside edges of the box and move around to blend with fingertips.
How to make the bottles and shelf:
- Cut bottles from Bottled Up Bigz die out of heavy cardboard.
- Ink the bottles with Fossilized Amber and Broken China Distress Inks.
- Ink the edges moving toward the center with Vintage Photo Distress Ink and then ink just the tip of the outside edge with Ground Espresso Distress ink.
- Cover entire bottle with Glossy Accents and set aside to completely dry.
- Paint the scallop trim first with white gesso and when completely dry, paint the trim piece with Speckled Egg Distress paint.
How to make the butterfly:
- Cut the butterfly pieces out of patterned paper or inked papers that you created yourself.
- Apply a piece of 3D foam tape to the thorax of the larger butterfly.
- Place the smaller butterfly on top.
- Adhere the tiny thorax piece to complete the butterfly.
Putting it all together:
- Add some flower stems and garden greens to the bottles.
- Adhere the shelf to the bottom portion of the box.
- Adhere a few baseboard pieces to the top right of the box and the large bottle to the back of the box on the left side.
- Adhere the smaller bottle to the shelf.
- Add the tattered butterfly and a few more ephemera pieces underneath the box with some moss and stones in random areas.
- Add a few tiny flowers to the box and you're done!
Thank you so much for joining me today and I hope you enjoyed seeing how I put together this pretty farmhouse inspired collector box.