Day of the Dead - Celebrate and Remember
Hi Friends! I'm so happy to be here again on The Making Journal sharing a project I made with the new Tim Holtz Day of the Dead die set. I created a traditional Day of the Dead or Dia de los Muertos plaque using this die set. I hope you enjoy seeing how I put it all together.
You will need:
Sizzix Thinlits Die - Frightful Things
Stampers Anonymous - Medium Etcetera Tag
Stampers Anonymous - Scalloped Etcetera Tags
Stampers Anonymous - Roses Stencil
Ranger Distress Inks - Rusty Hinge and Gathered Twigs
Ranger Reinker - Tea Dye
Ranger Archival Ink - Black Soot
Ranger Distress Paint - Evergreen Bough
Ranger Distress Crayons - Shabby Shutters and Spiced Marmalade
Ranger - Dina Wakley - White Gesso
Ranger - Distress Micro Glaze
Ranger - Grit Paste
Creating the Base
- Trace the outline of the tag onto a piece of mixed media cardstock.
- Cut out along the lines of the tag design with scissors. Set aside.
- Cover the entire etcetera tag with white gesso and set aside to completely dry.
- Retrieve the traced cut out tag from mixed media cardstock.
- Using the Tea Dye reinker dropper, place one drop of ink onto a craft mat and spray with water. Mix the water and ink together with a palette.
- Run the mixed media tag through the ink and water mixture and dry the tag with a heat tool. Wipe the craft mat clean.
- Apply Rusty Hinge Distress Ink onto the craft mat and spritz with water. Run or blot the mixed media tag through the ink and water mixture and dry. Continue this process until you are pleased with the outcome. Remember to dry the tag before added another layer of ink.
- Do the same with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. Allow the tag to completely dry.
- When the piece is completely dry, apply Distress Micro Glaze over the entire tag.
- Retrieve the Etcetera tag that is covered with white gesso and apply Distress Collage Medium to the entire front of the tag.
- Place the inked tag that you created out of mixed media cardstock on top of the etcetera tag and apply a layer of collage medium over top of the tag. Dry with a heat tool.
- Ink the edges of the entire tag with Black Soot Archival Ink.
- Apply the Roses stencil design onto the tag with Ranger Grit Paste and allow to completely dry.
- Apply Spiced Marmalade and Shabby Shutters Distress Crayon pigment onto a craft mat. Mist with water. Using your finger, pick up a bit of the pigment and rub it over the roses and leaves.
Creating the Characters
- Cut out all the pieces for each.
- Next, assemble each character.
- Here is a link to the Sizzix video on how to put them together: Colorize™ by Tim Holtz®, Day of the Dead - Sizzix
Finishing the Tag
- Dry brush a bit of white gesso over the center of the tag behind the characters. This will help them stand out.
- Adhere two Etcetera Scallop Trim pieces together that have been painted to match the tag and adhere to the tag as shown below.
- Add a few of skull and crossbones from the Tim Holtz Frightful Things die set and place a small flower on top of a couple of the skeletons heads.
- Add the "celebrate and remember" sentiment to the trims along with a few flowers and you're done!