Live Simply Home Decor Project by Jan Hobbins
Hi, Jan here today! I'm delighted to be back on the Sizzix blog, sharing a project I created using dies from the Tim Holtz Chapter 2 release and a few from previous releases. I've created this Home Decor piece using the new Feathered Friends and Funky Wreaths Thinlits sets. I've also used the Chapter 1 Curio Box and an older Thinlits set, Funky Floral #3.
You will need:
- Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 6PK - Feathered Friends (664433)
- Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 10PK - Funky Wreath (664434)
- Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 15PK - Funky Floral #3 (662702)
- Sizzix Bigz XL Die w/ Framelits - Curio Box (664419)
- Tim Holtz Abandoned Pattern Paper
- Different shades of brown Kraft Stock
- Mixed Media Heavystock
- Distress Oxide sprays, inks, Distress Paint(Fossilized Amber)
- Idea-ology Mini Foundations(TH93581), memo pin(92833), Remnant Rub
- Foam square piece
- Spanish Moss
- Hot glue and gun
1. Using the Curio Box Bigz die with Framelits, die-cut a box top with your patterned paper. Die-cut the box bottom with chipboard.
2. With the oval Framelit that comes with the Curio Box die set, die-cut the middle of the box top.
3. On the bottom of the chipboard curio box, cover with patterned paper. Paint the Mini Foundations with the Distress paint, wipe off excess, and adhere to the four corners of the box bottom.
4. Flip the box over, you're ready to fill.
5. I've cut 3 Funky Wreaths and twig pieces from different shades of brown kraft stock. Lightly sand parts of the pieces. Adhere these together.
6. Place the Wreath in a Memo Pin, and stick that into a rectangle piece of foam (Mine was a piece saved from packaging).
7. Adhere the foam with hot glue to the inside of the Curio Box.
8. Using Mixed Media Heavystock, colour a few sheets with your chosen colours of Distress Oxide sprays and inks for your florals. I die-cut this Funky Floral #3 piece and cut up into smaller pieces and adhered to the Funky Wreath.
9. With the Distress Oxide coloured paper, die-cut various flowers and leaves from the Funky Floral #3 set.
10. Die-cut a Feathered Friend bird with Distress Oxide coloured Mixed Media Heavystock and assemble.
11. When I am assembling a 3-d floral piece, I find it easier to glue a small cluster of flowers and leaves together on a small toothpick. This toothpick can then be adhered with hot glue to your piece.
12. Die-cut a banner (included in the Curio Box set) from Mixed Media Heavystock and distress with Distress Oxide inks. Apply a rub-on or stamp a saying. Adhere this to your wreath.
13. Add in some Spanish Moss to the inside of the box, and with hot glue, adhere in your flower/leaves clusters.
This completes my Feathered Friend and Wreath project, hope you enjoyed my tutorial! This small home decor project would make a great little thank you gift, don't you think?