Black & Gold New Years Decor
Can you believe that there are only a few days left before we welcome in the New Year. It feels a little surreal somehow. We're having some friends over and decided on a black & gold theme for this NYE party. It's such a classic and chic combo and the new Sizzix dies from Tim Holtz were perfect for adding a little black & gold magic to our decor. Like these lovely "birch branch" lanterns.
Would you believe they're made from recycled tin cans? We paired the lanterns with a Happy New Year banner.
You Will Need
For the Lanterns
- Sizzix Big Shot Machine (660200)
- Sizzix Thinlits Die - Branched Birch (663108)
- Empty tin cans
- Craft knife
- Black and gold spray paint
- Tea lights
- Double Sided Adhesive Tape
- Sizzix Accessory - Die Pick (656380)
For the Banner
- Sizzix Bigz XL Alphabet Die – Letterboard (663111)
- Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 8PK - Tree Light (663107)
- Black Foam sheets
- Gold paint
- Black ribbon
How To Make The Lanterns
1. Cut the top and bottom of the aluminium can off with a craft knife or scissors. Be sure to wear some gloves, the edges can be sharp. Once the top and bottom have been removed, cut down the length of the can and flatten it out.
2. Place the branched birch on the flattened can before putting it through the Big Shot. Carefully align the die before cutting it again to form a continuous pattern. The die fits twice on a 500ml can.
3. Pop out all the little bits using the Sizzix die pick.
4. Spray the one side of the cut out black.
5. Wait for it to dry, flip it over and spray the other side gold.
6. Once the paint dries, add a thin strip of double-sided adhesive along the outer edge and roll the cut out to form a tube.
Partially die cut a few more cans to create lanterns in various heights. Place the lanterns over some candles to create a magical and striking display. I love the way the light bounces off the gold on the inside. If you prefer not to cut up tin cans you can also use card stock. Just remember to use battery-operated candles instead of the real thing.
How To Make The Banner
1. Use the larger of the tree lights die and place it on black craft foam.
2. For the banner we’ll only be using the tree portion, not the little flap that goes at the bottom. So, by placing the die carefully on the foam, you should get two trees per piece. Die cut 5 trees and add the star inserts that comes with the tree light die to two of the cut outs.
3. Cut along the score lines so you end up with a whole bunch of small flags.
4. Spray or paint some card stock gold. Use one of the flags as a template and cut out two triangles from the gold paper. Glue the paper to the back of the flags with the star cut outs.
5. Die cut the letters HAPPY NEW YEAR from the rest of the gold card stock and glue them onto the flags.
6. Glue the flags to a piece of string or pretty ribbon to finish off the banner.
I hope you enjoyed this Sizzix make and here's wishing you and your loved ones a New Year filled with good health, joy, inspiration, and many Sizzix-tastic moments. Until next time.