Cottage Nine Patch Quilt
Westminster Fibers was born out of a collaboration between a fledging yarn company in the West Yorkshire region of England and two gallery owners. Since its inception, Westminster Fibers has become one of the most respected yarn companies in the hand-knitting yarn marketplace and has expanded into printed fabrics. With a wide assortment of fabrics, yarns and needlework kits plus many brand distributorships, Westminster Fibers offers tremendous value to every quilting or needleart enthusiast.View Designer
Class is now in session! Discover all the essentials to empower your creativity.Learn More
Will it work with my machine?
Look below to explore the complete compatibility of this product
Sizzix Die(s) Used
- Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide
|1 3/4 yd||AB45 Ivory||Cut (10) 2" wide Strips x WOF|
Sub-cut into (20) 2" x 21" Strips
Cut (49) 5" Squares
|3/4 yd||S12 Black||Cut (5) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
Cut (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|3/4 yd||TM10 Lavender||Cut (5) 5" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 1/4 yd total||Many colors of fabric||Cut (33) 2" wide Strips x 21"|
|(50) 6 1/2" Squares||Many colors of fabric||Cut (50) 6" Circles|
|3 1/4 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 5/8 yd pieces|
|58" x 69"||Batting|
|50||Buttons ranging in size from 1 1/4" to 2"|
- Finished Size: 52" x 61"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Block:
- Sew a 2" x 21" strip of ivory to both of the long sides of a 2" x 21" colored fabric strip. Press seams towards the colored fabric. Repeat six more times.
- Refer to Diagram 1 and cut pieced Strips into 2" segments.
- Sew a 2" x 21" colored fabric Strip to each of the long sides of a 2" x 21" Strip of ivory. Press seams towards the colored fabric. Repeat 12 more times.
- Refer to Diagram 2 and cut pieced Strips into 2" segments.
- Refer to Diagram 3 and sew a 2" segment from step 4 to each side of a 2" segment from step 2. Press. Repeat 49 more times to make 50 nine patches. These Squares will measure 5" x 5".
Assembling the Quilt Center:
- Refer to the quilt photograph. The quilt center is made up of 11 rows with nine blocks in each row.
- Six rows alternate nine patches with 5" Squares that start and end with a nine patch. Press each row.
- Five rows alternate 5" Squares with nine patches that start and end with a 5" Square. Press each row.
- Again referring to the quilt photo, sew the rows together to make the quilt center. The rows alternate: those starting and ending with a nine patch and those starting and ending with a 5" Square. Press.
Assembling the Quilt:
- Sew the five 1 1/2" x WOF black Strips together lengthwise. Press.
- Cut the Strip into two 1 1/2" x 50" and two 1 1/2" x 43" pieces.
- Sew the 1 1/2" x 50" Strips to the long sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the 1 1/2" x 43" Strips to the remaining two sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the five 5" x WOF Strips TM10 lavender together lengthwise. Press.
- Cut the Strip into four 5" x 52" pieces.
- First sew two of the 5" x 52" pieces to the long sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the other two 5" x 52" pieces to the remaining two sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the two 1 5/8 yd pieces of the backing fabric together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
Making Yo-yo Flowers:
- Take a 6" Circle and with a large basting stitch, turn over and sew approximately 1/4" hem around the edge. Draw the thread up as tight as you can and tie off. You have made a yo-yo. Arrange so the hole is in the center. Repeat 49 more times.
- Sew a button in the center of each of the yo-yo flowers.
- Sew a yo-yo flower in the center of each of the 5" Square ivory blocks.