Patchwork Bird Card
Tim Holtz is a signature product designer for various companies in the craft industry including Sizzix® Alterations™, Ranger Industries®, Advantus®/idea-ology®, Stampers Anonymous, Tonic Studios® and Westminster Fibers. Tim plays an integral part in the development and design of cutting-edge crafting products bringing his unique vintage style. As a well-known designer, Tim travels across the country and internationally to educate and introduce people to his world of techniques and philosophy to simply enjoy the journey...View Designer
New to die-cutting?
Or simply want to know more about it? We've got plenty of tips and tricks to help you get started.Learn More
Will it work with my machine?
Look below to explore the complete compatibility of this product
Sizzix Die(s) Used
- Sizzix Bigz Die - Patchwork Bird
- Sizzix Bigz Die w/Texture Fades Embossing Folder - Tree Rings, Mini
- Sizzix Big Shot Machine Only (White & Gray)
- Sizzix Big Shot Plus Machine Only (White & Gray)
- Sizzix Big Shot Express Machine Only (White & Gray)
- Sizzix Big Shot Foldaway Machine (White and Grey) with Exclusive Extras
- Sizzix Accessory - Glue Gun
- Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 12PK – Circle Words, Christmas
- Sizzix Tool - Heat Tool, Dual Speed
Other supplies: Stamps, Assorted Distress Inks, Assorted Acrylic Inks, Gesso, Spritzer, Greyboard, Paintbrush, White, metallic and Ivory Cardstock, Black Fine Liner, Glue, Brown Acrylic Paint
- Using the Sizzix Big Shot Machine (660200) die cut Sizzix Bigz Die w/Texture Fades Embossing Folder – Tree Rings, Mini (664232) and emboss with the folder that accompanies the die.
- Paint the tree rings with white gesso and leave to dry before applying various shades of brown acrylic. Use a dry brush technique to enhance the embossed detail.
- Apply a little white gesso to a craft matt and water down to a milky consistency before splattering a little onto the tree rings.
- Cut a piece of white card large enough to cover the body of the bird. Apply various shades of red and brown Distress Ink directly onto a craft mat before spritzing with clean water.
- Place the card face down into the ink and dry with a heat tool. Repeat if necessary, with different shades of brown/red until you achieve the desired effect.
- Dry the cardstock with the heat tool and die-cut the shape. Repeat for all the parts of the bird using a variety of colours/shades to increase the contrast when assembled.
- Use the fine black marker to draw around the perimeter before assembling the bird.
- Use the Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 12PK – Circle Words, Christmas (664205) to die-cut the sentiment from metallic card.
- Cut a rectangle of ivory card slightly bigger than the music stamp and apply an assortment of Distress inks to mimic the appearance of old paper before lightly spritzing with clean water. Once dry, Stamp the music onto the card and distress the edges.
- Gently ink around the perimeter of the base card using Antique Linen distress Ink before stamping the stars and the postmarks.
- Assemble all of the die-cut elements and sheet music before mounting onto the base card.