Birthday Table Runner
Class is now in session! Discover all the essentials to empower your creativity.Learn More
Will it work with my machine?
Look below to explore the complete compatibility of this product
Create the perfect birthday table decoration with this quilted kite table runner!
Sizzix Die(s) Used
- Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide
- Sizzix Bigz Plus Q Die - Twist, 9" Assembled
- Sizzix Big Shot Plus Machine Only (White & Gray)
- Sizzix Accessory - Cutting Pads, Bigz XL 25", 1 Pair
Other supplies: Fabric 1 – 1.7m x 90cm plain cream, Fabric 2 – 40cm orange multi print, Fabrics 3-9 – 15cm square of each fabric in contrasting prints and colours, Wadding – 170 x 50cm, Air erasable pen, Thread for piecing, Metallic thread for kite tail, Pins, Iron, Sewing machine
Notes: Finished size approx: 160cm x 41cm (64” x 16”), All fabrics are 110cm wide unless otherwise stated, Seam allowances are 6mm (¼”), RS – right side, WS – wrong side, All fabrics are cotton
Fabric 1 – Cut into 2 pieces measuring 162 x 41cm
Fabric 2 – Using strip die and XL plates, cut 5 strips across the width of the fabric
– Using the Twist die, cut 4 triangles
Fabrics 3-9 – Cut 2 triangles from each fabric using the Twist die
- Stitch 2 triangles from Fabric 2, RS together, to make a square.
- Press a 6mm seam to the WS on all sides
- Fold one triangle in half, RS together, to make a smaller triangle, and stitch the sides together, leaving a small opening in one side for turning.
- Trim the points and turn the triangle RS out and press, tucking in the open edges.
- Repeat with another 13 triangles
- Layer the backing, wadding and top together and pin or tack.
- Using the photo as a guide, draw a line along the length of the table runner for the kite tail, using the erasable pen.
- Stitch the kite tail in the metallic thread.
- Pin the square to one end of the tail as indicated by the photograph and then arrange the triangles in pairs along the length of the tail, pin into position.
- Stitch the square and the triangles into position.
- Using the erasable pen draw some swirls each side of the kite and stitch
- Trim wadding and backing to the same size as the quilt top.
- Stitch the binding strips, RS together, into 1 long strip.
- Fold in half along the length, WS together, and press the fold.
- Stitch the binding to the table runner, matching the raw edges, mitre the corners and overlap the ends.
- Press binding away from the quilt top, fold over to the back, and slip stitch fold to the back of the table runner to complete.