Hex Star Table Runner
Victoria Findlay Wolfe Quilts
Victoria Findlay Wolfe traces her love for quilting to her grandmother, Edla Wolfe, a "crazy quilter" whose patterns were ahead of their time. Victoria's series of Double Wedding Ring quilts are based on happy childhood memories with her grandparents. Victoria is also a teacher, lecturer, fabric and thread designer, blogger and author of the popular quilting books, 15 Minutes of Play and Double Wedding Rings - Traditions Made Modern.View Designer
Class is now in session! Discover all the essentials to empower your creativity.Learn More
Will it work with my machine?
Look below to explore the complete compatibility of this product
All this beauty, and it took only one die to create! Tip and turn these versatile die-cut shapes in different directions to create a whole new block selection.
Themes: Quilting & Appliqué
Sizzix Die(s) Used
- Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide
- Sizzix Bigz Plus Die - Hex Star, 12 1/2" x 14 1/2" Assembled
|50cm x115cm||Floral cotton print||Cut (18) star points|
|40cm x 115cm||Plain yellow cotton||Cut (18) smaller background triangles|
|40cm x 115cm||Plain aqua cotton||Cut (2) 6cm wide Strips x WOF for the binding
Cut (6) pairs of mirror-image right triangles
|40cm x 115cm||Plain white cotton|
|40cm x 115cm||Wadding|
- Finished Size: 105cm x 31cm (41 1/2" x 12")
- All seams are 6mm (1/4") unless otherwise stated.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Project:
- Place two star points right sides together and sew together along the short, 60 degree angle sides. Stop sewing 1/4" before the inner point of Star point. Press seam allowance open. See Diagram 1.
- Sew a smaller background triangle between the star points. Sew along the wide Y-seam. At intersection, stop at the seam with needle in the down position. Lift presser foot and pivot fabric, bringing the triangle edge and the remaining Star point edge together. Continue sewing to the end. Press seam allowances open. See Diagrams 2 and 3.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to form eight more sections.
- Sew three sections together. Sew these units together along the wide Y-seam. Start in the center, sewing the two Star points together. At intersection, stop at the seam with needle in the down position. Lift presser foot and pivot fabric, bringing the triangle edge and the remaining Star point edge together. Continue sewing to the end. Press seam allowances open. Then sew on the right triangles to form a Hex Star block. See Diagram 4.
- Repeat step 3 to form two more Hex Star blocks.
- Sew the three Hex Star blocks together.
- Layer the backing, wadding and top right side up and pin through all layers.
- Quilt as desired.
- Join the binding strips together to make one long piece.
- Fold the binding in half, wrong sides together along the length and press the fold.
- Stitch to the edge of the table runner, right sides together matching the raw edges, mitering the corners and overlapping the ends.
- Press away from the table runner, fold over onto the back and slip stitch the fold of the binding to the backing.