Hex Star Placemat
Victoria Findlay Wolfe Quilts
Victoria Findlay Wolfe traces her love for quilting to her grandmother, Edla Wolfe, a "crazy quilter" whose patterns were ahead of their time. Victoria's series of Double Wedding Ring quilts are based on happy childhood memories with her grandparents. Victoria is also a teacher, lecturer, fabric and thread designer, blogger and author of the popular quilting books, 15 Minutes of Play and Double Wedding Rings - Traditions Made Modern.View Designer
New to die-cutting?
Or simply want to know more about it? We've got plenty of tips and tricks to help you get started.Learn More
Will it work with my machine?
Look below to explore the complete compatibility of this product
Sizzix Die(s) Used
- Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide
- Sizzix Bigz Plus Die - Hex Star, 12 1/2" x 14 1/2" Assembled
|25cm x115cm||Floral cotton print||Cut (6) star points|
|15cm x 115cm||Plain yellow cotton||Cut (6) smaller background triangles|
|25cm x 115cm||Plain aqua cotton||Cut (1) 6cm wide Strips x WOF for the binding|
|40cm x 35cm||Backing fabric|
|40cm x 35cm||Wadding|
- Finished Size: 36cm x 31cm (14" x 12")
- All seams are 6mm (1/4") unless otherwise stated.
Piecing the Project:
- Place two star points right sides together and sew together along the short, 60 degree angle sides. Stop sewing 1/4" before the inner point of Star point. Press seam allowance open. See Diagram 1.
- Sew a smaller background triangle between the star points. Sew along the wide Y-seam. At intersection, stop at the seam with needle in the down position. Lift presser foot and pivot fabric, bringing the triangle edge and the remaining Star point edge together. Continue sewing to the end. Press seam allowances open. See Diagrams 2 and 3.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to form eight more sections.
- Sew three sections together to form a Hex Star block. Sew these units together along the wide Y-seam. Start in the center, sewing the two Star points together. At intersection, stop at the seam with needle in the down position. Lift presser foot and pivot fabric, bringing the triangle edge and the remaining Star point edge together. Continue sewing to the end. Press seam allowances open. See Diagram 4.
- Layer the backing, wadding and top right side up and pin through all layers.
- Quilt as desired.
- Join the binding strips together to make one long piece.
- Fold the binding in half, wrong sides together along the length and press the fold.
- Stitch to the edge of the placemat, right sides together matching the raw edges, mitering the corners and overlapping the ends.
- Press away from the placemat, fold over onto the back and slip stitch the fold of the binding to the backing.