On Safari Quilt
Go wild with your next quilt. Sizzix quilting dies offer untamed creativity and perfect cuts in an instant, leaving you more time to quilt and less time to labor over your cuts. This quilt is a great weekend project and it can be made with 5" charm pack for a variety of color.
Artist: Cindy Surina, Guest Quilter
|(30) 5" Squares||Assorted prints|
|1/4 yd||Yellow print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/4 yd||Zebra stripe print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/4 yd||Turquoise print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1 yd||Safari print||Cut (4) 3 1/2" wide Strips|
Cut (4) 2 1/2" strips for binding
|36" x 40"||Backing fabric|
|36" x 40"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 34" x 38 3/4"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Arrange the 5" Squares in a pleasing manner, 5 across by 6 down.
- Sew 5 blocks together to form a row. Repeat to form 5 more rows.
- Sew the 6 rows together to form the quilt center.
- Sew the 1 1/2" yellow border Strips to the sides of the quilt center first, then sew the top and bottom border Strips. Sew the 1 1/2" zebra print and turquoise borders Strips to the quilt in the same manner.
- Sew the 3 1/2" safari print border Strips to the sides of the quilt first, then sew the top and bottom border Strips.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.