On Safari Quilt
Go wild with your next quilt. Sizzix quilting dies offer untamed creativity and perfect cuts in an instant, leaving you more time to quilt and less time to labor over your cuts. This quilt is a great weekend project and it can be made with 5" charm pack for a variety of color.
Artist: Cindy Surina, Guest Quilter
|Use one 30-piece 5" charm pack|
|1/4 yd||Yellow print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" strips for border|
|1/4 yd||Zebra stripe print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" strips for border|
|1/4 yd||Turquoise print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" strips for border|
|1 yd||Safari print||Cut (4) 3 1/2" strips for border|
Cut (4) 2 1/2" strips for binding
|36" x 40"||Backing fabric|
|36" x 40"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 34" x 38 3/4"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Piecing the Quilt
- Lay out 5" charm squares 5 across and 6 down.
- Sew together in rows, forming the center unit.
- Sew the sides of the yellow 1 1/2" borders first, then top and bottom strips. Repeat the zebra print and turquoise borders in the same manner.
- Sew the sides of the final safari print 3 1/2" borders first, then top and bottom strips.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip, approximately 168". Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.