Hi, Friends! This is Jasleen and it’s my turn to share a post here today.
I made two cards showcasing this technique. Here’s the first one:
And here’s the second card:
White, blue and grey card stock
Brustro water colour paper
Distress inks, pearls, vellum and ribbon
To start with, partial die-cutting, as the name suggests, is die-cutting in such a way that only a part of the paper is die-cut, leaving the rest uncut and attached to the main base/panel. I’m sharing step-by-step pictures explaining the process of partial die-cutting.
The very first step is to choose the dies and line them up on our card panel the way we wish to. The butterfly dies that I chose here are from the Butterfly Lantern die set. It would be a good idea to temporarily adhere them down using a Washi tape. Please see the pictures to see how I did it.
Next, I drew a straight line with the help of a ruler and a pencil, marking the boundary up to which I want the machine to die-cut my paper. In the picture above, the upper one-third is the area which would pass through the Big Shot Machine and we would get the butterfly die-cuts in that area only. As you can see, a small portion of the butterfly dies is below the marked line, which means that that’s the area which would remain uncut and attached to the rest of the card panel.
Now, comes the main part of placing it to pass through the machine. The sandwich required here is> Big Shot Plus Platform>> Adaptor A>>Cutting Plate>>>Card panel with the adhered dies>>another cutting plate on the top. Now the main thing to remember here is the way we place the cutting plate on the top. It should be placed in such a way that it covers the upper one-thirds of the card panel only up to our marked boundary (as shown in the picture above), leaving the rest uncovered. So this arrangement will ensure that only the upper-thirds portion gets die-cut.
Here’s what I got after passing it through the machine.
Next what I did was to cut off the upper one-third portion with the help of a steel ruler and a craft knife, taking care not to touch the die cut butterflies.
I decided to add some water colour splashes using distress inks and added some vellum die cuts as well.
Finally I mounted this partial die-cut panel over a grey card base.
I hope my explanation is clear enough and helpful for you to try it yourself. It might sound complex, but believe me, it’s not. It gives such beautiful results and can be used to make a variety of pop-up or dimensional cards. Do let me know if you have any questions. Will surely try and get back as soon as I can.
Thanks for visiting and have a great week!