How to make a Mixed Media Tag
New Idea! Learn how to create a mixed media tag using this step by step!
Other Supplies: Ivory Cardstock, Black Cardstock, Water Spray Bottle, Ranger Distress Ink - Seedless Preserves and Ranger Distress Ink - Mown Lawn
- Begin by printing a sentiment onto ivory card stock. This will be positioned at the bottom of the tag. I chose the sentiment ‘Toil and trouble’.
- Die-cut the tag element from black card. Take the tag die from the Essential Framelits Tag set and cut from the ivory card stock so that the sentiment is centred and positioned at the bottom of the tag.
- From Sizzix Stencil Film, die-cut the cauldron element again to create a stencil from the aperture.
- Carefully tear a line from the highest corners of the cauldron aperture to the top of the stencil film to create a gap which widens towards the top. This will create an organic shape in the stencil which will resemble steam escaping the cauldron.
- Spray some non-permanent adhesive to the back of your die-cut stencil film and position it onto the tag so that the cauldron aperture is centred and just above the sentiment. Using the Sizzix Multi-tool and sponge blending head, begin inking with Ranger Distress inks. I used Seedless Preserves and Mown Lawn to create a blend to look like the steam from a magic potion.
- Spray the inked area with water. One light spritz is enough. This will create a blotted effect in the blended ink which will give the impression of bubbles.
- Take some silver and rose gold Sizzix Lustre Wax and apply lightly to the surface of the black die-cut cauldron element. The colors can mix. This will give a dull metallic effect which will appear very subtle. (tip: Lustre wax should be applied in tiny amounts and built up. From the pot, apply some to your finger tip, then take off the excess on a disposable piece of scrap card so that there is a minimal amount on your finger. Then lightly apply to the surface keep building up until satisfied with the effect).
- To create a distressed look to the ivory card, lightly blend Ranger Distress ink along the outer edges of the tag using Vintage Photo.
- Finally, adhere your cauldron element over the stencilled silhouette using Sizzix Foam Tape. the tape will need to be cut into small pieces using the craft knife so that it is not visible through the cauldron. Using thin black thread, Tie the tag to a bottle of liquid as though it is a potion label.